List Of Links To Things We Happen To Like
n.b. Tis page is *WELL* out of date. I'll update it when I can be bothered but don't be too suprised if a large proportion of the links don't work.
- The Church Of The Subgenius. Praise "Bob" !
- Fylde Twenty20 League The home page for the Fylde Twenty20 league.
- eyezanheart.com A Website for the Lands End to John O' Groats sponsored walk being performed by Roger Fox and Russell Broome.
- Private Eye Still an excellent read after all these years.
- A collection of links relating to the Unidentified Flying Saucers phenomenon.
- The Modern Drunkard. A splendid site which contains many "glamorous" tales of drinking exploits including the splendid story of Legio 5.
- Mark Thomas responsible for, amongst other things, the Mark Thomas Comedy Project. Making very serious points through humour is always a winer in my book as it actually seems to engage the 'tards too ;)
- Project Camleot interviews Clifford Monk A U.S. Army sergeant amogst those responsible for liasing with extra terrestrials. Yes, you read that right extra terrestrials. And if you want to see some more interesting footage look here. And in case you didn't see it the first time here's the same thing filmed by a different cameraman and from a different angle.
- The website of Brian Haw. As Mark Thomas says "A democracy that can not stand one man and some placards outside its front doors doesn't seem to have much faith in itself." Every freedom you have has been won by someone prepared to fight for it.
- Give Me Back My Google Remember when Google used to return useful search results ? Results that weren't mostly "price comparison spam" ? Well this site uses Googles "-inurl()" directive to remove all the crap. In other words it returns earch results that are actually useful !.
- Tul Bahadur Pun Want to know how much the British government cares about those who serve it ? This story is an utter, utter disgrace. Despite receiving the Victoria Cross (which was bought back from him for a pittance and is now displayed in the Gurkha Museum in Winchester) he has been refused entrance to the UK by the Home Office as "he doesn't have strong enough ties with the UK for him to be allowed to settle there".
- "From Ashes To Dust" A first hand account of Englands disastrous 2006/2007 Ashes campaign. "ASHES TO DUST is not written by a well-paid journo sitting in an air-conditioned press box wringing their hands at the horror. It is written by someone who has sung, shouted, drunk and exchanged insults with the Aussies on behalf of Queen and Country, and occasionally taken the spoils. It's about feeling real pain whilst watching the demise of your team, sometimes in blistering heat. It's about dreams turning into dust. "
- Demon, Where's My MAC ?. Demon Internets customer support is absolutely appaling. See why here. Do not choose Demon as your ISP !
- The Perry Bible Fellowship. Excellent cartoons.
- Heckles & Put Downs. A small, but most entertaining, collection of heckles, come backs and general fun.
- David Blaine Pisstake. One of my favourite You Tube clips.
- Slashdot. The intermawebs premier geek site.
- Ghostmasters. Blackpools finest Martial Arts Academy.
- Expert VIllage Loads of good videos showing how to do stuff. The link is quesiton is removing a bicycle cassette (rear cogs to the layman !) but there's all sorts sof stuff.
- Atelier Carlyle. The artwork of Diane Carlyle.
- How Stuff Works. Some articles are better than others and it's a bit ad heavy but intersting none the less.
- The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) . Cut down the amount of nuisance calls you recieve with one easy registration.
- Mail Preference Service (MPS). Similar in function to the TPS but for junk mail.
- Freecycle. What you thinks of as your "old crap" might just be what someone else is looking for (and vice versa - ed.) So don't just landfill it, freecycle it !
- Steve Bell. A most excellent cartoonist.
- The Church Of The Subgenius. Praise "Bob". Learn the truth about your Yeti origins !
- Principia Discordia. The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger, wherein is explained absolutely everything worth knowing about absolutely anything. Alternatively you may prefer a more discordant version.
- Section 25. Local legends of the alternative music scene. Also available at their sister site
- Anxiety Culture. But... I'm not supposed to...
Computer Related Crap
- Mozilla Firefox. Get yourself a real web browser ! One that supports W3C standards.
- Opera. Or if you don't like Firefox try Opera. It's another browser that supports standards.
- Mozilla Thunderbird. And whilst you're at it why not get a proper email client ? One which actually stores its data in an industry standard format.
- Mail Washer. Delete spam from your mail server without wasting your bandwidth downloading it.
- Ubuntu Linux. Most of my machines run Ubuntu Linux (apart from one which runs Windows as I need to use a particular program on it). Why put up with all the rubbish associated with running a Microsoft operating system ?
- Slackware. Linux for the Subgenius !
- UK Free Sorftware Network. Good ISP (Internet Service Provider) who put all profits back into developing free software.
- Myth TV. Build yourself a "home brew" media centre. One that isn't crippled with DRM (Digital Rights Management which should really be called Digital Restrictions Management). To get a good idea of the consequences of this sort of technology you'd be well advised to have a look at "The Right To Read".
- Spybot Search & Destroy. If you must use Microsofts wretched Windows then you're going to need all sort of "anti-crapware" tools. This one removes "spyware".
- Adaware. More Windows "anti-crapware". This one removes "adware".
- Zone Alarm. More Windows "anti-crapware". This one's a "firewall"
- CDEX. A splendid little utility for creating MP3s from your CD collection.
- Video Lan Client (VLC). An excellent media player and streaming server.
- Real Alternative. Plays real media streams without having to install the official real player.
- The Story Of Mel. So you think you're a real programmer huh ? Read this and weep.
- The Art Of Unix Programming. If you program at all this is well worth a read. And it's really not specific to *NIX either. And whilst we're at it you might like to have a browse of the jargon file.
| Back to top | Back to links page |